Monday, December 28, 2009

More Self-Service Kiosks At Airports, Please



It's been a rough week for air travel. First, a blizzard blew through the East Coast and Midwest, canceling hundreds of flights. Now a thwarted terrorist attack aboard Detroit-bound Northwest Flight 253 on Christmas Day has renewed interest in (and criticism of) airport security.

In the past three weeks, I've been in and out of four airports. And not that I'm counting or anything, but that's two delayed flights, one canceled flight, and several phone calls to get rebooked. Not horrible, all things considered.

Maybe it's because I've spent too much time at JFK lately, but I'm now intrigued by self-service kiosks from companies like Best Buy and Sephora. I used to wonder who would be suckered into buying anything from those kiosks. But with increased security measures on the way, I know I'll be looking to leave more things at home, even if it means having to buy items after the checkpoint or at my final destination.

The Sephora kiosk, for example, sells this Philosophy travel-size set for $35, the same that you'd pay at a Sephora store or at Sephora.com.

I hope to see more affordable brands roll out similar self-service kiosks in airports. Better yet, I'd love to buy travel-size toothpaste and contact lens solution from an airport kiosk one day.



Photos: Amy Chen

No comments:

Post a Comment