Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Matching Luggage: Tacky or Classy?


Whenever I'm waiting at an airport, I play a game that I like to call Luggage Spotting. You see, I have an unhealthy obsession with luggage. I drool over wheelie bags the same way other girls collect designer handbags. Never mind that my Samsonite has survived more than 10 years of abuse—in the event it finally gives out, I want to be prepared with a replacement.

So I survey other people's luggage at airports, taking note of duffels, spinners, carry-ons, and totes that seem to be doing the trick. I also empathize with people who struggle with bags that always tip over. And I confess that I dream of having enough closet space to warrant one day investing in new pieces, preferably a matching set.

That dream (hey, don't knock my dream) screeched to a halt last weekend when I saw this guy at JFK with a set of matching Tumi luggage. A bit tacky, no? Not unlike perfume or jewelry, a little Tumi can go a long way...

Photo: Amy Chen

1 comment: