Monday, August 20, 2012

Bucket List Trip: Hot Air Ballooning

When I heard that Albuquerque's Balloon Fiesta was "the world's most photographed event," I talked a college friend into meeting me in New Mexico for the weekend. I dreamed about taking aerial photographs of the ascending hot air balloons. Unfortunately, my friend failed to mention that she was afraid of heights, so I had to settle for watching from the ground. Though the view of rising balloons was breathtaking, I promised myself that I'd get a bird's-eye view one day.

Fast forward about five years. Calistoga's Bennett Lane Winery recently announced plans to launch a winery-branded hot air balloon, so I jumped at the chance to redeem myself -- even if it meant waking up at 5 a.m.

Granted, I had second thoughts when signing the release of liability -- there was, of course, the threat of death or injury from the "capsize of the basket" but also the potential of getting arrested for trespassing upon landing. Hmmm.

Though heavy winds thwarted the first two attempts to launch the hot air balloon, the third time was definitely the charm. I expected my stomach to at least flip-flop as the balloon ascended, but I didn't even feel dizzy. In fact, the ascension was so smooth that I didn't notice we had left the ground until I saw that the neighboring balloon was several feet off the ground.

Perhaps VIP guest Tony La Russa (three-time World Series champion manager) said it best at the press conference, "Everybody has a bucket list and I scratched one today. I've always wanted to ride a hot air balloon."

My only regret? Due to our late start, our one-hour journey was cut short to 30 minutes and we weren't able to float across the Napa Valley as scheduled. Even so, the uplifting (sorry!) experience over Lake County was enough to tempt me to return to Albuquerque for Balloon Fiesta.

On a side note, my college friend met her soon-to-be-husband that weekend at Balloon Fiesta. Isn't life funny?



The Details: Bennett Lane Winery has partnered with Calistoga Balloons for one-hour flights that are scheduled to leave from a launch pad behind the winery (from $399 per person, with a Champagne brunch at The Restaurant at Meadowood and a tour, tasting, and picnic lunch at Bennett Lane Winery). Private packages are also available with limo transportation and reserve tastings (from $1,999 for two people). How to Book: 707/942-5758; www.calistogaballoons.com Photos by Amy Chen

Disclosure: I was a guest of Bennett Lane Winery for the media launch, but all opinions expressed here are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment